Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Wordless Wednesday ~ Copeland Family Circa 1904

My second cousin has digitized a bunch of old negatives and shared the images with me. I have copies of a few of them. This is the copy of one that I have:


This is the digitized negative shared with me by my cousin:


Lowell Townsend Copeland; his mother Ethel May (Greeley) Copeland; sister, Elizabeth Sewall Copeland; father, Lowell Copeland.

Since Betty was born in March 1903, I'm guessing this was taken in the summer of 1904, when Townsend was 3 1/2 and Betty was maybe 16-17 months old.

We think this might be taken on the shores of Lake Michigan; the family lived in Winnetka, Illinois, at this time.

Thank you Suzanne!

7 comments:

  1. What a difference technology makes! Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, digitizing the old negative certainly makes a difference! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing difference! What a great image, I love the outfit on Ethel. Can you tell me by any chance what size those negatives are and what brand and model scanner your cousin is using? I have 2,000 negatives from the 30s through the 50s to scan and I am looking for a great scanner. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the size of the negatives are, but I do know that she used a service to digitize them: Memories Renewed. Depending on where you live, you may want to see if you can find a place that you don't have to ship them.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. The negatives are very large: nearly 4" x 4" and most were in very good condition--perfectly dry and only a little curled. Only about 7-8 of them were brittle and stuck together in an irretrievable lump. Not every single one produced such a sharp image. Memories Renewed put the converted images on a thumb drive for me and returned the negatives in great condition.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for getting back to me with the info.

      Delete
  3. I learned only a year or so ago that negatives could be scanned. Technology is so wonderful -- from scanning negatives and photographs to enlarging them enough to see more details than we could with the naked eye to being able to adjust light, color, and enhance them.

    There's such a difference between the images. I like the clarity of the second but love the ambience of the first. And the image itself is so charming. Sweet swimsuits.

    ReplyDelete