Thursday, May 19, 2016

Massachusetts Legislators' Biographical File ~ Samuel Greele

One of the speakers at the Massachusetts Genealogical Council Seminar in late April was Beth Carroll-Horrocks, Head of Special Collections at the State Library of Massachusetts.

She spoke about genealogical research at the State Library, found at the Massachusetts State House. Researchers are welcome to make simple requests by email. One of the resources unique to this library is The Legislators' Biographical File, which is a card file containing basic biographical information for all members of the General Court and Constitutional offices from 1780 to the present.

In my research, I have come across mention (usually in secondary sources) of some of my ancestors serving in the Massachusetts State House. I sent an email to Beth and she got back to me with scanned images of my relatives' cards found in this file.

My third great grandfather, Samuel Greele, was a Representative in the Massachusetts House of Representatives for several years in the 19th century.


Greele, Samuel.
     Boston
     House. 1838,  1840, 1841, 1842, 1843


Born July 3, 1783, Wilton, N.H.
H. W. 1802 [year he graduated Harvard College]
Preacher, teacher, Manufacturer.
died Aug. 16, 1861. Swampscott [Essex County, Massachusetts]
Harvard Necrology. pp. 396-397
N. E. Gen. Reg. V. 15: pp. 360-361 [New England Historical and Genealogical Register]

Son of Samuel and Olive (Read) Greele.

~~~~~~~~~

I already knew most of this information, but it does confirm for me the specific years he served in the Massachusetts General Court for Boston. I also found the Harvard Necrology (Necrology of Alumni of Harvard College 1851-52 to 1862-63 by Joseph Palmer, 1864: Boston: John Wilson and Son) at the Internet Archive, a wealth of information for Harvard Alumni who died between 1852-1863. His obituary in this book also notes that he was a member of the Board of Aldermen in Boston from 1834-1836.

He was one ancestor I blogged about in 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks last year.

~~~~~~~~~

I descend from Representative Samuel Greele as follows:

Samuel Greele (1783-1861)
|
Samuel Sewall Greeley (1824-1916)
|
Ethel May Greeley (1875-1931)
|
Lowell Townsend Copeland (1900-1974)
|
My mother
|
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment