Monday, July 13, 2015

Catherine Carr Hunter ~ 52 Ancestors #28

For this week's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge from blogger Amy Crow Johnson of No Story Too Small, the theme is Road Trip: Which ancestor do you want to take a road trip to go research?

A road trip to Pittsburgh is in my future because my maternal grandmother's ancestors for three previous generations lived in and around Pittsburgh. (I also want to visit my cousin!) Although I do know quite a bit about these families, I'm sure that with "on the ground" research in Pittsburgh, I could fill in many blanks.

For example, my 3rd great grandmother, Catherine Carr, was born in 1815 or 1817 or 1820 or 1821, depending on the source. All sources agree that she was born in Pennsylvania, but I don't know where or who her parents were. Census records indicate that her parents and her husband were born in Ireland. Based on the statement in her son James' obituary, I believe they were Presbyterians.

She married Samuel Hunter by 1841, when their oldest child was born. He died in 1863, leaving her a widow with nine children. From about 1860 until her death in 1891, she lived at 217 Jackson Avenue, Allegheny City. (See the Surname Saturday about my Hunter line here.)

The 1850 U.S. Census includes the first four children:

1850 U.S. Federal Census, Allegheny, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: 744; Page: 34B;
Lines 23-28. Record for Samuel K. Hunter family.

Husband Samuel is a grocer with $1,400 in "Value of Real Estate Owned." Following are Catharine, age 30, and children Mary J. (9), James K. (6), John K. (5), and Ann E. (2).

~~~~~~~~~

The 1860 U.S. Census includes all nine children (and two boarders):

1860 U.S. Federal Census, Allegheny, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1067; Page: 749;
Lines 21-33. Record for Samuel F. (sic) Hunter family.

Husband Samuel F. Hunter [should read Samuel K. Hunter] is a Laborer with $5,000 value in real estate. The household includes Catharine (age 43), the four children listed ten years previously, and Susan (9), Isabella (8), Emma (6), Robert W. (4) and Lilly (2). (Note that 19-year-old daughter Mary is a Dress Maker.) It looks like they also had a couple of boarders living with them.

~~~~~~~~~

In 1870, widow Catherine, age 49, is still head of the household with all nine of her children (and one granddaughter). The value of her real estate is $15,000 and value of personal estate is $1,000. I wish I knew how she built up that estate value.

1870 U.S. Federal Census, Allegheny, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: M593_1290; Page: 82A;
Lines 7-17. Record for Catherine Hunter family.

~~~~~~~~~

In 1880, Cath Hunter, age 65, is still at 217 Jackson Street in Allegheny with three of her daughters, all School Teachers.

1880 U.S. Federal Census, Allegheny, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: T9_1086; Page: 131.3; E.D.: 6;
Lines 44-47. Record for Cath Hunter family.

Four of her children died during the 1870s. (See a list of her children here.)

Catherine Hunter died on June 1, 1891, and is buried in Union Dale Cemetery with many of her family. All of her children are buried in Pennsylvania and they are all linked at FindAGrave.

It's amazing what I have been able to discover online, but I'm sure I could find much more during a road trip to Pittsburgh!

I descend from Catherine Carr Hunter as follows:
Catherine Carr Hunter
|
|
|
Helen Lysle Hunter
|
My mother
|
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment