Wednesday, October 1, 2014

My Great Migration Ancestors (1620-1635)

I am trying to go through some older files - printouts of things that I can get or have already gotten online - to see that I have updated my genealogy program to reflect these sources.
The Great Migration Begins has three volumes.
Image from Amazon.com.

The Great Migration series of books by Robert Charles Anderson and published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society include the following:

The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633 (3 volumes)
Great Migration 1634-1635 (7 volumes, alphabetically)

These have been available on the NEHGS website (AmericanAncestors.org) for several years (depending on publication date), but I still have printouts that I don't need and I'm trying to remove from my office files any paper that I don't need.

You can find a variety of resources at the Great Migration Study Project website at GreatMigration.org, including a list of over 2,400 sketches published in the Great Migration series and a link to AmericanAncestors.org where you can search for a family name. (Note you have to be a member of NEHGS to view results of these searches.) From the website:
"The aim of the Great Migration Study Project is to compile comprehensive genealogical and biographical accounts of every person who settled in New England between 1620 and 1640. Between these years about twenty thousand English men, women, and children crossed the Atlantic to settle New England. For a century and a half genealogists have been studying these families, and thousands of books and articles have been published as a result."
In going through my old printouts and looking at the list of names of my Great Migration ancestors, I am amazed at how many I have. I may have more, but there are plenty of my ancestral lines which I have not managed to trace back this far.

From The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633:

Maternal ancestors: William Bassett (9th ggf), Thomas Blossom (9th ggf), Daniel Brewer (9th ggf), Bernard Capen (11th ggf), James Chilton (12th ggf - Mayflower), Aaron Cooke (1st husband of 10th ggm), Thomas Ford (10th ggf), Simon Huntington (10th ggf), William Knopp (10th ggf), Richard Lyman (10th ggf), Thomas Mayhew (9th ggf), Francis Plummer (10th ggf), Edmund Quincy (9th ggf), Edward Rainsford (10th ggf), Thomas Richards (10th ggf), William Rockwell (10th ggf), Richard Silvester (9th ggf), Thomas Willett (9th ggf), John Winslow (11th ggf).

Paternal ancestors: William Cheeseborough (10th ggf), John Gallop (10th ggf), Giles Gibbs (9th ggf), Stephen Hart (8th ggf), John Howland (10th ggf - Mayflower), Thomas Minor (10th ggf), Walter Palmer (11th ggf), Valentine Prentice (10th ggf), John Tilley (11th ggf - Mayflower), Andrew Ward (9th ggf).

Both maternal and paternal (yes, my parents are distantly related): William Denison (10th ggf)

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume I (A-B):
William Beardsley (P 9th ggf), Thomas Blodgett (M 9th ggf)), Edmund Bushnell (M 9th ggf).

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume II (C-F):
Simon Crosby (M 9th ggf 2x), Robert Dibble (P 10th ggf), Thomas Ewer (M 9th ggf), John Farrow (M 9th ggf), Henry Flint/Flynt (M 9th ggf), Edmond Freeman (M 10th ggf), William French (M 8th ggf).

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume III (G-H):
Peter Gardner (M 8th ggf), John Gore (M 8th ggf), Samuel Hinckley (M 10th ggf), Robert Hull (M 9th ggf)

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume IV (I-L):
Henry Kingman (M 10th ggf), Thomas Lord (P 10th ggf), John Lothrop (P 9th ggf)

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume V (M-P):
Francis Newcomb (M 10th ggf)

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume VI (R-S):
Martin Saunders (M 10th ggf), Edmund Sherman (P 10th ggf) , Thomas Stanton (P 9th ggf)

From Great Migration 1634-1635, Volume VII (T-Y):
William Tuttle (P 9th ggf)

M = maternal line (all through Grandfather Copeland)
P = paternal line (some even through both my grandmother Adsit and grandfather Pyle)
ggf = great grandfather
ggm = great grandmother
2x = I descend from Simon Crosby in two lines: my maternal grandfather's parents are distantly related.

6 comments:

  1. I love your idea of listing all your ancestors from The Great Migration. I don't own any of the books, because I used to go to NEHGS so much, and now see them online. But, I bet it nice to have your own to quickly reference. Bernard Capen, Thomas Ford, Thomas Mayhew, William Rockwell, Thomas Blodgett, Thomas Lord, Francis Newcomb, Thomas Stanton, William Tuttle (if the same one, b.1609 England m. Elizabeth, living in CT. Do you know if he is the same as yours? We have at least 8, perhaps more because I haven't done a lot of research on my oldies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, we are cousins several times over with all those New Haven Colony ancestors! Yes, it's the same William Tuttle.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth! We share a few: Mayhew, Cheseborough, Howland, Tilley, Newcomb, Gore and Blodgett. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I knew we were cousins on a couple of these lines. As I noted, this blog post evolved from my trying to clean up (recycle) some old papers I don't really need.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Great idea, Elizabeth... I have the first three books in the collection, from 1620-1635, so I'll go through and see how many surnames I have as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, these Great Migration books, whether in hard copy or online, are real treasures! Good luck with your exploring!

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete