Saturday, April 27, 2013

Surname Saturday ~ Lysle of Pennsylvania

The earliest Lysle I know of is James Lysle. I don't know much about him, and haven't had much luck confirming information about him. I'm not sure if he is the immigrant ancestor for this line or where he came from, though the family story says that he was French. I'm not sure if he lived in southeastern Pennsylvania or in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, but it was in Allegheny County (specifically Allegheny City, later known as North Side Pittsburgh) where I find the next four generations of my Lysle ancestors.

Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Image courtesy: Wikipedia
I do have that his wife was Mary Wilson (1763-1849), who is buried in Union Dale Cemetery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (See her Find A Grave memorial here.)

They had nine children that I know of.

Generation 2: George Lysle (1800-1877) founded the Lysle & Sons Coal Company in the Pittsburgh area, which I wrote about here. He died as a result of injuries suffered in a train accident in Washington, D.C. He married Margaret McIlwaine (1804-1880) and fathered twelve children. They are both buried in Union Dale Cemetery, along with at least seven of their children. Their youngest son was George.

Generation 3: George Lysle, Jr. (about 1843 - 1900) married Marion Helen Alston and after her death, he married Edith Hadly. He had two children with his first wife (see a photo of these children) and two with his second wife. His oldest child and only daughter was Marguerite.

Generation 4: Marguerite Lysle (1876-1967) married Percy Earle Hunter
Generation 5: Helen Lysle Hunter (1907-1990) married Lowell Copeland
Generation 6: My mother
Generation 7: Me

Much of the basic information for this family came from a printed family tree made in the late 1930's. I have also collected information from U.S. Census records, Pittsburgh City Directories, Pittsburgh newspapers, and a few vital records.

No comments:

Post a Comment