Sunday, June 10, 2012

Update on 1940 US Census Indexing

Thanks to the efforts of more than 125,000 volunteers, the 1940 US Census is more than 50% indexed! According to the 1940 US Census Community Project, this is one month ahead of schedule.

I helped index the first half of the 1940 US census

As of June 7, 2012, there are 18 states and territories that have been indexed and are searchable. Click here to see the current status.

I'm pleased that I have been able to be a part of this indexing project, and I get to share the following badges representing the states that I have indexed.

The first state available for indexing after the release on April 2 was Colorado, so that's what I worked on at the beginning.

Once Pennsylvania was available to index, I did quite a bit of indexing there because the first county to index was Allegheny, where my mother was in 1940, as well as quite a few family members.

Because I've lived in Massachusetts for my entire life, and am familiar with place names, I did quite a bit of indexing of Massachusetts records. And this is where my dad was living in 1940.

After reading about others who are tackling New York, I thought I'd give it a try. My husband has family in New York in 1940, and I have a great uncle I'd like to find, too.

Let's work together to index 100% of the 1940 US Census and make it freely searchable to the whole genealogy community! If you're not already signed up, volunteer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment