Wednesday, May 16, 2012

An 1873 Wedding Invitation ~ Wedding Wednesday



Mr. + Mrs. John Alston
request the pleasure of your company
at the Marriage of their daughter
Marion H. Alston
and
George Lysle Jr.
Wednesday Evening. October 13th 1875.
Ceremony at half past nine o'clock.
127 North Avenue, Allegheny City, Pa.

Holyland Engraver
43 Fifth Ave. Pittsburgh
Two copies of this wedding invitation of my second great grandparents have been saved and handed down. I am descended from this couple as follows:

George Lysle, Jr. and Marion Helen Alston
|
Marguerite Lysle
|
Helen Lysle Hunter
|
My mother
|
Me


8 comments:

  1. Very nice, and it's so old. It was a smart person who saved two of them. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a lovely genealogical treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. I think it is interesting that the basic wedding invitation has not changed in the past 150 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. This is a real treasure and yes, Heather, it's interesting that the basic wedding invitation hasn't changed in all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful invitation - is it embossed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the A and L are embossed as well as the business name and address. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous, and I was amazed, too, that it could almost be from today. Saved for posterity, but even so, could they imagine how much it would mean to you 140 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that I have ancestors who saved treasures like this so I can share them on my blog today! Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete