Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun ~ Two Degrees of Separation

Thank you to Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings for this blog post idea. Details can be found at Genea-Musings: Using your ancestral lines, how far back in time can you go with two degrees of separation? That means "you knew an ancestor, who knew another ancestor." When was that second ancestor born?

I "met" my great-grandmother, Marguerite Lysle Hunter (1876-1967) when I was about 9 months old (in 1965, around the time of her 89th birthday). When Marguerite was born, her grandfather, George Lysle (1800-1877) was still living and I'm sure was thrilled to meet his granddaughter, as this family lived near each other for many decades in Allegheny, now the North Side of Pittsburgh. Marguerite was born in August 1876 and George Lysle died in January 1877 in a train accident.

That means that I can connect, with two degrees of separation, to my third great grandfather, George Lysle, born in 1800.

My descent from George Lysle (1800-1877) > George Lysle, Jr. (1843-1900) > Marguerite Lysle (1876-1967) > Helen Lysle Hunter (1907-1990) > my mother > me.

1 comment:

  1. That is so neat, Elizabeth-- I love this idea. What a great way to make you feel closer to your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete