Friday, February 24, 2012

The 1940 Census is Coming...

I have signed up to be a 1940 Census Ambassador. In the next 37 days, I hope to share some information about the release of the 1940 US Census with my readers.

United States Federal Census records become available 72 years after the date they were taken. I remember in April 2002, visiting the National Archives in Waltham, MA to look at the 1930 census on microfilm for family members. (I still didn't find my five-year-old dad until these records were digitized.) January 1992 would have been when the 1920 census was released because the 1920 census was taken as of January 1, 1920. I had only just started researching census records at that time (on microfilm, at the National Archives.)

April 2, 2012 is the magic date for the 1940 US Census to become public!

Just think of all the people you know who you'll be able to find!


I'll be looking for my five-year-old mother and her family, my fifteen-year-old dad and his family, as well as my parents-in-law and their families!

Guess what I'll be doing on the morning of April 2 ... visiting the official site of the 1940 US Census!

3 comments:

  1. It will be fun to explore the 1940 census. It will provide a wonderful snapshot of my ancestors at that point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to April 2nd too-- I'll be able to find my 7-year-old father, his parents, and his maternal grandparents! Thankfully, I have addresses for them and can find them via enumeration district.

    My mom and her parents and grandparents are another story though-- I don't have addresses for them at this time. Mom's grandparents lived in rural New Hampshire, and great-grandfather's WWII draft card lists his address simply as "RFD Nottingham Rockingham N.H." No number. And this was two years after the 1940 census, so they may not even have been living in Nottingham at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl - thanks for reading and commenting. I agree with your comment.

    Karen - Perhaps Nottingham N.H. is small enough in 1940 that you can browse the images looking for the surnames. Or sign up to help index and choose New Hampshire. You can't be guaranteed a particular town or county, but perhaps you'll get lucky. (I know - a long shot, but I'm an optimist.)

    ReplyDelete